The English Language...

As you may or may not know...I teach english to children who speak other languages.  
Often times when I have students that are super new to the US they have some
questions on what certain things mean….things we never think about, but if you really
think about it, the English language is pretty crazy and difficult to learn with all
of our weird phonics and grammar rules…..Here’s a few stories:

→One day I had a 5th grade girl that speaks spanish and was learning english come
in from recess and say, “Teacher, what’s Cheez-it?”  So I’m all: “oh, it’s like this little
orange square cracker that kids like to eat for a snack”.  She looks at me all weird, and
says, “No I don’t think that's it…”  So of course my job is now to figure out what the heck
she is talking about….so I ask her how/where she heard this, and she says (in spanish),
“Well at recess all the kids were running around trying to get away from a certain person, and then
someone ran over to me touched my shoulder and ran away, then all of the kids starting
running away from me, and pointing at me saying “cheez-it, cheez-it”.....OH!!!! “She’s it” I say.
 Then I go on to explain this wonderful game called TAG :)


→ Another time I had a new 6th grade girl that had only been at our school for a few weeks
from Mexico and mainly spoke spanish.  She was at her desk working away.  Then she comes
up to me with a little paper and says, “is this how you spell it?”  On the paper I see:   idunnvo.
 I can’t seem to figure out what she’s trying to spell so I ask her and she says, “I don’t know”  not
that she doesn’t know...that’s it, that’s what she’s trying to spell I...Don’t…Know….Ha, when
we know the language we speak so fast that this little girl thought “I don’t know” was one big
word idunnvo :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The WORST day...

Stephisms...

The Beginning of my Fitness Journey...